5.26.2012

How I Met Your Mother ( By Dad)

And it's not going to take me ten years to tell this story either. If you got this reference, then we did a good job raising you, I think. I meant to write about this on your mother's first mother's day, but I'm just now getting around to it. I am bad at this.

When I moved down to Florida, I went to the singles ward over in Winter Park. I still remember the first time I saw your mother. I was sitting in the back row when your mother walked in and she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I don't know what it was, but there was like this wooshing noise in my head and then it felt like there was nobody else in the room except for her. I'm sure I was staring like a total fool, but I doubt anyone noticed. Or if they did, they just had the good sense to not ruin the moment for me.

I'd love to say that I went up to your mother and we hit it off and it was love at first sight, but that's not really the way it worked out. I'd see your mom occasionally, but for the most part, I didn't really see her much until a couple years later. I went to church to play basketball and got there a little early, before the FHE activitiy finished up. Your mom was sitting off to the side so I sat and talked to her and then very smoothly asked for her number. I think it went something like, "Hey, I need your number so we can do stuff." See?  Your dad had some crazy game.

So we started hanging out and we bonded over watching Gilmore Girls. At that time, I wasn't really looking to date anyone, but the more I hung out with your mom, the more I wanted to date her. Finally one night, I told her that the only girl I would want to date was her. Sadly, she didn't really go for that and it took me a few weeks to convince her to go out with me. Finally, one night she told me that if I shaved my head, she would go on a date with me, so I went straight to her bathroom and shaved my head. Best decision ever.

Your mom and I dated and had a good time, but she was planning on graduating so I don't think either of us thought it was going to be anything serious. But then she ended up needing to stay an extra semester to graduate, so then, I fell so in love with your mom. She was still considering going to the Peace Corps, but God and the United States Postal Service did me a solid and lost her paperwork or something. Without the Peace Corps to distract her, you mom and I finally decided to get married and then a short while later we had you.

I'm not sure if you know this about your mom, but it is hard to get her to commit to stuff some times. You can probably tell from this story that it took me a bit of effort to get your mom to commit to me too, but it was worth all the effort. But I got to tell you this kid, your mother has been fully and wholly committed to you since day one. Really, since before you were born, but from the moment you were born, your mother's whole life has been about you. It's one of the reasons I love your mom so much, because I can see how important you are to her, and how committed she is to you. It's easy to see how much she loves you. And having you has made her so happy. I think she has been happier than I've ever seen her since we've had you.

Anyways, I know as you grow up, you and your mom will probably butt heads, and maybe there'll even be some tension between the two of you. I really hope not, but I think most daughters go through that with their mothers. If that ever happens, I hope you read this so you know how much your mother has always loved you. You got a good mother Lovey, don't ever forget that.